Ethically sourced stone is at the forefront of the Stonemarket agenda. However many suppliers importing Indian natural sandstone are not engaged in auditing how their stone is produced. However, Stonemarket understands that regulation and auditing are essential to ensure international governance and ethical trading with developing countries.Ethical Trading Initiative.
As a socially responsible business, all of our natural stone products are from ethical sources, independently audited through our parent company’s membership of the Ethical Trading Initiative (ETI).Through this, we are committed to progressively improving conditions in our suppliers' work places and to improving the lives of workers who make our products. We are committed to adopting the ETI Base Code, a widely accepted model code of practice which has the following principles:
- No-one should be forced to work
- Workers are free to join and form trade unions and bargin with management
- Working conditions are safe and hygienic
- Child labour shall not be used
- Living wages are paid
- Working hours are not excessive
- No discrimination is practised
- Regular employment is provided
- No harsh or inhumane treatment is allowed
Stonemarket Ethical Partners
- Stonemarket has teamed up with a number of our Stockists to create the Ethical Partner Scheme.
- Stonemarket only import ethically sourced natural stone that uses no child labour and where workers are paid living wages and have proper health and safety equipment.
- Stonemarket’s Ethical Partners have pledged to stock only Stonemarket ethically sourced stone imported stone so that you, our customers, can be absolutely sure that you will be buying stone that has been ethically manufactured.
- All Stonemarket Ethical Partners can be identified by the Ethical Partner logo on the stockist search facility on this website. They will also have posters and signs displayed in their yards to highlight details of their membership.
- To be completely reassured that the Stone you are purchasing is free from child labour, buy Stonemarket natural stone ideally from a Stonemarket Ethical Partner.
In India, Stonemarket only buys sandstone from Stone Shippers India, which in addition to the ETI base code compliance, is certified by AQSR not to source any raw materials from quarries employing child labour. We will continue to undertake regular auditing to ensure that the highest standards are maintained at all times.
No child labour is used in the production of our natural stone. For a more in depth look at the truth about important Indian Sandstone please click click here